All About Me

I have lots to say and many people have asked - who is behind China's Secret Teas? So this seems like a good way of marrying the two. Enjoy!

Friday, August 11, 2006

The Goat or Who is Sylvia?

At lunch today, I had a fond memory of a most interesting play, The Goat or Who is Sylvia that I caught in New York about 4 years ago. There I also got to meet Bill Pullman (male lead) and Edward Albee - award winning playwright of Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? This was his new play in a while.

The play came to the West End shortly after....but, back to my encounter - you see I really wanted to know (still do!) how the couple ended up. The lights went out & curtains came down just at the most crucial moment. A Q&A with the playwright followed but my question remained unanswered - largely because I didn't want to appear gauche in front of all these intellectuals asking all these esoteric questions about structure, form and etc.

So dashed out after the session ended and ambushed Edward Albee whilst he was getting into his limo. Poor guy probably thought I was after his autograph but I really just wanted to know what was on his mind - do they resolve things or not?!!

Won't spoil the play for you by revealing too much about the bone of contention although I may have already by revealing that there is no conclusion as such.

''Ah, who's to know?'' was his enigmatic reply.

So I decided to try the male lead - how did he feel the moment the lights cut out, would he accept what she had done? Bill Pullman was both illuminating and infuriating ;-) Different nights/performances, arouse different feelings and different thoughts at that particular juncture.

Talk about a play that has the power to make you think and reminisce even after 4 years.

Do you have a favourite play?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home