All About Me

I have lots to say and many people have asked - who is behind China's Secret Teas? So this seems like a good way of marrying the two. Enjoy!

Thursday, July 13, 2006

Junkie vs sell-outs

Thank you to my friend Nadine (all the way in Australia) who reminded me of 2 new shows that I have also really enjoyed watching this season:
Criminal Minds - excellent series on FBI profilers (with some old faces from Chicago Hope in a new incarnation). Can't wait for Season 2!
Bones - great brand extension by Kathy Reichs, forensic anthropologist who has written a series of crime bestsellers. Series is based on her really but also stars ex-Buffy/Angel star, David Boreanaz. Yes, he doesn't just do broody and can actually act ;-)

Lest you think that I am just some American TV junkie, I also do read quite a bit. Actually, whilst I am on the topic of reading and brand extension, let me warn you off certain authors.

Offending authors in the fantasy/adventure genre:

  • Raymond E. Feist - Magician series was fantastic, even the Empire follow-up series was good. However, he started getting proposterous when even Jimmy the Hand had his own series.
  • David Eddings - maybe when you are like 12, the Belgariad series captivated but when 20 years later he is still trying to capitalise on that....the Elder Gods??
Don't they know when to stop? Or are there still fans out there who continue buying their books long after their best writing has stopped simply in hope that they will get better? If so - stop, then perhaps they would be forced to become creative story-tellers again.

Offending authers in the Crime Fiction genre:
  • John Grisham - need I say more?
  • Patricia Cornwall - to be fair she did try to depart from the usual with her Jack the Ripper book but then reverted to form (bowing to popular demand no doubt?!).
  • James Patterson - he has now even 'licensed' his name in collaboration with other authors now (eg. James Patterson and Andrew Goss - has anyone even heard of Andrew before this collaboration?)
These are authors who have (in my opinion) completely diluted their brand/name. I'm sure there are plenty more out there - so let's out them!

Interestingly enough - at the bookshop today, I came across a book based on the TV series Bones! So well done to Kathy Reichs again for another profitable spin-off/brand extension.

I have also learnt that Iain M. Banks is also a mean writer not just of Science Fiction (Player of Games being my intro to his work but certainly not the last) but also of contemporary fiction going under the name of Iain Banks (without the initial).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home